Area of Expertise: Rehabilitation Medicine
Qualifications: MRCP, PhD Consultant in Rehabilitation Medicine LLM-Medical Law and Ethics
“Specialist in Complex Neurological Rehabilitation, Severe Brain Injury, Disorders of Consciousness, Spasticity and Neuropathic Pain Treatment”
My name is Kudret C. Yelden. I am a consultant doctor in Rehabilitation Medicine. I have completed my specialist training in London in 2012. Since then, I have been working at the Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability, Putney. I recently gained my PhD degree from the University College London.
My clinical interests include;
- Brain injury rehabilitation,
- Assessment and clinical management of people with disorders of consciousness,
- Treatment of secondary complications of brain injury such as spasticity, neuropathic pain, dysregulation of sleep-wake cycles, mood and behavioural changes,
- Botulinum toxin injections for treatment of spasms and spasticity.
Alongside of my clinical work, I lead on several research projects. Some examples of my research projects are;
- Optimizing Circadian Rhythm and Characterizing Brain Functions of Patients with Prolonged Disorders of Consciousness (completed)
- Understanding the Decision-Making Environment for People in Minimally Conscious State (completed)
- Validation study for MATADOC (Music Therapy Assessment for Awareness in Disorders of Consciousness) (ongoing)
- Effect of sleep-wake cycle optimization on neurological rehabilitation (due to start)
- Brain-Computer Interface for Disorders of Consciousness
I have LLM degree in Medical Law and Ethics, which I gained at De Montfort University. My interests in this area include;
- Rights of people with long-term disabilities,
- Capacity and consent issues following brain injury,
- Promoting patient autonomy in healthcare.