Area of Expertise: Speech and Language Therapist
Qualifications: BSc, PGDip, MRCSLT, MASLTIP, registered with HCPC
Cathy is an independent Specialist Speech and Language Therapist based in Woking, Surrey. She has 16 years NHS experience working as a Speech and Language Therapist with adults with complex communication and swallowing difficulties following Stroke, Head Injury and other Neurological Conditions. Until 2016 Cathy worked for 6 years as the Lead Speech & Language Therapist at a local NHS Neurorehabilitation Unit.
Cathy has extensive experience providing specialist assessment and evidence-based therapy to support management of complex swallowing and communication difficulties, including:
- providing assessment and therapy remotely using telehealth
- supporting patients to work towards individual goals that are meaningful
- working with clients with severe receptive and expressive communication difficulties (aphasia) following stroke to support functional understanding and expression
- supporting clients to return to work
- using communication therapy apps and software to support therapy and communication
- using gesture, writing and pictures to support communication and communication recovery
- supporting clients with progressive neurological disorders including Parkinson’s Disease and MS
Cathy is member of the British Aphasiology Society and the Association of Speech and Language therapists in Independent practice (ASLTIP) and she continues to attend conferences and courses to develop her skills.