Area of Expertise: Behavioural Optometrist
- Vision and the motor visual system are our primary source for gathering information with 87% of learning occurring through the visual system.
- Even subtle issues with the visual system can have a major impact on our movement, co-ordination and therefore efficiency of performance and confidence.
- The brain usually selects the information it needs to process what is required for a task but when the brain has been damaged from either injury or disease then this process doesn’t work as well.
- This may lead to problems with loss of concentration, poor attention span, losing one’s place or line when reading, missing out words or letters when reading, becoming rapidly tired at college / work and often being exhausted at end of the working day.
- Behavioural Optometrists will explore these processes and use a range of treatments and strategies to help their patients to learn and function more efficiently.